I’ve been craving a big slice of one of my favorite desserts all week – but instead of hunting it down, I decided to break out this genius recipe. I’m happy to share this one with you: it’s super simple, requires few ingredients and actually isn’t bad for you. I’d say that trifecta makes any recipe a win/win/win, wouldn’t you?
All you need is:
- Key lime flavored Greek yogurt (Oikos makes a good one)
- Cream cheese (I use the full-fat variety; you may be able to use a low-fat for a similar result but I never buy low-fat anything)
- Graham crackers
- Sugar (optional)
- Blueberries (optional)
Here’s how it works:
- Crush up the graham crackers until you’re left with a big mass of crumbs. Set this aside, then…
- Start mixing one single-serve container of the Greek yogurt with about four tablespoons of cream cheese (leave this out for a while before you start making this so the cream cheese softens.) I add a teaspoon of sugar but you can definitely omit this.
- Spread the graham cracker crumbs along the bottom of a container – the amount you use is up to you, I usually go with about 2 full crackers.
- Once that layer is in place, spread the cream cheese/ yogurt mixture over it, smoothing it down with a spoon as you go.
- Throw it in the fridge for about three hours or until the top layer solidifies. Top with a handful of blueberries if you’d like. Remove and devour!
You should definitely try this out because the result is DELICIOUS. Even my dessert-averse boyfriend loved it. And let’s talk about the best part – you don’t even need an oven to achieve cheesecake-like taste and texture. As for the healthfulness of this, remember that you’re getting some nutritional substance from the yogurt. I like to make this in the evening, eat half of it as a dessert or late-night snack (it’s really filling thanks to all that protein)and save the rest for breakfast the next morning.
You can do this with pretty much any flavor of Greek yogurt. I’ve tried the same recipe with strawberry yogurt instead and it also tasted amazing. Yesterday I had pumpkin butter swirled into my plain yogurt for breakfast, which sounds weird but tastes great – maybe I’ll try a healthy, no-bake pumpkin pie using this same technique next!
As for the whole guilt-free thing…that’s relative. I realize that flavored yogurts aren’t great for you, but this is definitely not as heavy as a key lime pie or cheesecake you’d get at a restaurant – and you don’t need to eat much of this to feel satisfied. I feel no guilt after eating this, but then again I average about three cheeseburgers a week, so what do I know?
In any case, eat the damn pie. #YOLO.